What’s the difference between the two? And which one should you use for your website?
The one major difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org is who’s actually hosting your website?
With WordPress.org, You host your own blog or website. WordPress.org is the actual open source WordPress software that anyone can download and customize as per your requirements. You opt for your own web host, domain name, and have full control over everything.
WordPress.com, on the other hand, takes care of all of the hosting for you. You don’t have to download software, pay for hosting, or manage a web server.
- Premium hosting, security, and backups are included. You can even upgrade to a custom domain, like YourSiteName.com.
- You can choose from many of the beautiful themes. Make it your own with Custom Design.
- Integrate your site with Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and other social networks.
- Personal support and the WP.com forums are available.
- Your custom domain, premium hosting, security, and backups are included. As secure as .com, as versatile as self-hosted.
- You can choose and customize any of the beautiful themes or install your own custom theme.
- Sharing functionality is included, be it Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social networks.
- A personal setup session, live chat and email support 24/7/360.
- You’ll need to find a host , and perform backups and maintenance yourself. WordPress also offer VaultPress for security and backups.
- You can Install custom themes. Build your own with PHP and CSS. Also you can choose any web host.
- Install a plugin, like Jetpack to enable sharing functionality on your WordPress website.
- Visit the WordPress.org support forums for assistance.
- With WordPress.org, you have full control of your website. You are free to do anything you want and customize it as much as you need.
- It is free and easy to use.
- You can add free, paid, and custom WordPress plugins / apps to your website.
- You can use powerful tools like Google Analytics for custom analytics and tracking.
- The free WordPress.com platform is a good choice for hobby bloggers and those starting a blog for their family.
- It’s free for up to 3GB of space. After that you will have to switch to a paid plan for more space. (Personal plan $36 /year gives you 6GB, Premium plan $99/year gives you 13GB storage, or Business plan for $299/year for unlimited storage).
- You will not have to worry about updates or backups. WordPress.com will take care of that.
For business, I definitely advise you to use WordPress.org because you want to portray a professional image to your clients and the general public. WordPress.com is just not going to cut it.